From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:55:38 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>>Music does not surround us every day.  Ambient noise surrounds us every
>>day.  Music is something that is created.  It doesn't happen by accident.
>
>True enough.  It's also something that composers don't necessarily create
>and that doesn't arrive by a creative artist's intent.  We talk about
>bird song, for example, or the music of the ocean.

It may be "music" in one sense of the word, but to me it's not art.

We all agree that all art need not be beautiful.

Conversely, all that is beautiful need not be art.  A breathtaking view of
the Grand Canyon at sunrise, a sunset at sea, the autumn foliage, the song
of the nightingale, may all be sublimely beautiful, but my understanding
of art is that it has to be created by humans.

Walter Meyer