From:
David Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:30:06 -0700
I almost never cross-post, but here goes.  Forgive me if you can.

I was glad to see Steve Schwartz's review of the Alfven Symphony #5.
It is odd that with all the Scandinavians here in Seattle, the SSO never
plays Scandinavian composers (except Grieg and Sibelius).  It is good
that Naxos is doing an Alfven cycle, and I hope they move on to include
some of the other interesting Swedish composers of that period.  There
is another excellent recording of the Alfven Fifth done by Neeme Jarvi
and the Stockholm Phil.  This BIS recording also contains the attractive
little suite from "Bergkungen."

Though I love Swedish music, Alfven is not among my favorites.  He is,
however, one of the few composers who actually knew something about
Swedish fiddling.  And he certainly knew what a polska was.  Nevertheless,
to my ear at least, he does not sound especially Swedish except when he
is being deliberately folkish.  Among composers of his generation, I
find much more meat in the music of Stenhammar and Rangstrom.  I think
Steve summed it up well: "I've heard this song before."

David Lamb in Seattle