From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:05:30 -0400
I don't know why I do this to myself. Can I spell the word "Incoming?"

Most overrated composer.

Gustav Mahler.

Now before the flames start aburnin' I must qualify this.

I like Mahler a lot.  He is a great composer.  One of the greatest we have.
But I do not think he is as great as so many people paint him.  I do not
put him in the top ten--whatever that means--or anything like that.  And I
know many others do, which is fine.  But for me he ranks below that, great
as he is.  I enjoy the works of too many other composers more for him to
occupay my personal "pantheon" of composers.  He is one I enjoy, not
revere.

But keep in mind I am using the term "overrated" strictly and literally.
It is a *relative* qualifier, not a singular qualifier.  I have no trouble
calling Mahler a great composer.

I'm sure he'll rest more easily knowing that. (whatever that smiley face
symbol is)

Roger Hecht