From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:45:42 EST
Can someone explain to me how Beethoven could not figure out that the
performance was over, that he was still beating time, and the soprano had
to turn him around to face the wildly applauding audience.  I have read
several versions of the story and none of them make sense.  One story has
a deaf Beethoven conducting with a real conductor behind him, the orchestra
following not B, but the conductor.  Something tells me that there may be
some truth but it does not add up.

Here is my question: If a deaf B is trying to conduct, can he not see that
the musicians placement of hands on the instrument is not in alignment with
his conducting? It seems ludicrous and insulting to have B up there making
a mockery of the whole thing.  If the performance is over and the audience
is applauding then the musicians are no longer playing--why is B still
conducting or beating time and the soprano has to turn him around? His
eyes must have been closed too.  So if anyone can explain how this can
happen, I would appreciate it.

Glenn