From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:44:23 -0500
Sharon Albert wrote:

>I am leaving my (sometimes) beloved New York City and relocating to
>Washington, DC...Can you help me...looking for as many classical music
>venues as I can find.

You're in luck, we've got some great venues here.  The most prominent is
ol' reliable, the Kennedy Center Concert Hall.  Good acoustics since it's
recent overhaul.  Be sure to keep an eye out for concerts at the Jewish
Community Center in Bethesda, whose JCC SO is conducted by none other
than listmember Joel Lazar.  The Alexandria SO plays in a brand-new venue,
Rachel Schlesinger Hall, on the Northern Virginia CC campus in Alexandria;
that venue also hosts the McLean Youth SO.  Many churches, some of them
historic, are venues to occasional concerts; I saw the entire Brandenburg
cycle in one evening in a beautifully understated downtown church.  George
Mason University hosts the Fairfax SO and Virginia Opera, as well as many
visiting ensembles.  George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium hosts
opera during the summer.  Lisner is an excellent site, as it is located
right down the street from the downtown Tower Records, which has by far
the largest classical music section in the area.  I'm sure that the many
top-notch universities in the area all have classical music concerts worth
attending.  Also, the German and French Embassies often host events of
note.  The best bet for hearing about these things is the Weekend section
of the Washington Post.

I must be missing dozens of great sites.  You are moving to an excellent
classical music city.

Mitch Friedfeld
Vienna, VA