From:
Michael Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:06:12 -0500
After battling cancer for two years, respected musicologist, theorist and
all around wonderful person, Douglass Green died September 1st.

I had the great pleasure of taking three classes from Dr.  Green during my
graduate work at the University of Texas.  They were easily the three best
classes of my college life.  One of the wonderful things about Dr. Green
was he always connected theory to real music.  Theory was never just an
excercise for him.

Dr. Green was incredibly open to his students.  He often invited us into
his home.  He was always happy to talk with his students about anything.
Many is the time we stood around talking with him after class.  I'm sure
we sometimes made him late for appointments.

A memorial service will be held Saturday September 11 at St. Marks
Episcopal Church at 3 PM in Austin, Texas.

The University of Texas School of Music asks that Memorial contributions
may be sent c/o The Douglass Green Memorial Fund, The School of Music,
Michael Tusa, Acting Chair, UT Austin, Austin 78713.

Included below is a posting to another list from Mark DeVoto.