From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:16:40 -0500
Tim Mahon:

>Steve Schwartz harpoons a straw whale with a long list.  OK, Steve -- who
>the hell is Rosner? My reference sources don't pick him/her/it up at all.

Arnold Rosner is the composer I would have loved to have been, had I only
had the talent.  Contemporary American, very tonal and "conservative," more
a Classic Modern.  Recordings on Albany TROY163, TROY210, Centaur CRC2451,
and Harmonia Mundi HMU906012.

>PS: Not you operating under a pseudonym, is it?

No, but it's an idea.  If I change my name to "Igor Stravinsky," I might
write another Le Sacre.

>PPS: Poor Gorecki. Consigned to the Ninth Circle -- and him so pop'lar, 'n
>all!

I *like* Gorecki, especially the "Kleines Requiem." I was just hung up on
the word "significant." His work doesn't seem *as* sig.  as (thankfully,
someone else mentioned) Gubaidulina's.

I'd also like to propose Sessions's "When lilacs last." I doubt it has
a chance in hell of finding popularity, and therefore it may not be
significant, but, boy, it just about raptures me out.

Steve "My ears are on wrong" Schwartz