From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:51:33 -0800
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Is the series of Jeno Jendo - who I never heard - performing of Beethoven's
>sonatas, really good or just cheap.  Could someone of you compare with
>Brendel, Gilels, Arrau, Kempff or Richter.  Is there any pianist of these
>with whom he look like? And his Variations Diabelli? In my country it will
>cost a lot anyway, cause of the import taxes and the small market for them
>(a Naxos I will pay arround US$ 13,00 eq.  probably) so I want to buy Only
>if it is really good.  In Brazil the Naxos CD's are imported, that's why
>are so expensive.  On the other hand, this Tuesday I bought a CD of Daniel
>Barenboim playing Schubert's sonatas D960 and D840, on Deutsche Grammophon
>for US$ 4,50 eq.)

The sonatas are not one of Brendel's forte, while Richter and Kempff,
especially the latter, really shine.

It's important, though, that the mono Kempff, not his later stereo,
is the better of the two choices.  Ordinarily, sonics play about 33% of
my evaluation of a recording, and despite their age and mono recording,
the Kempff's mono are clearly superior to any subsequent performances,
including their sonics.  For my "core" holding, I'd choose either Kempff or
Jendo.  Jendo isn't as consistent as Kempff, but when he shines, the stars
are overwhelmed.

A current star that is thrilling to a lot of us is Stephen Kovacevich on
the EMI label; this isn't budget, but, thus far at least, all are top notch
if not exemplary in every respect.  I trust when he is done with the cycle,
EMI will release the Kovacevich recordings in less expensive dress.

This is the music I awake to every morning.  It's ever so fresh as the day
itself, so invest and enjoy!

"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>