From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:51:04 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>Conjecture 1.
>There are two main types of music listener; those who like technical
>contrapuntal writing and those who like a high emotional content.

In this premise, Bob assumes that Bach's music has a low emotional content,
and that's fine for him.  But, my perception is that Bach's emotional
content is as high as any other composer.  It's not as "up-front" as many
others, and in my opinion, provides greater rewards over time as a result.

Whenever I do think about the different types of listeners, I tend to put
the majority into the "seeking entertainment" category and a minority into
the "seeking something more" spot.

Don Satz