From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:58:56 -0500
Bob Draper wrote:

>What is the sound quality like on these recordings? Some of Kertesz's
>Decca recordings are ok but some I've heard had absolutely dire sound.

Good, but not London's best.  I'm glad you mentioned this.  I used to think
I was nuts thinking that for some reason Kertesz's Decca recordings were
not up the standards of the rest of the company's work.  I assume he just
didn't get the best engineers.  The only really outstanding one, soundwise,
that I can recall this minute is the Bartok Bluebeard's Castle, with the
Respighi Pines and Fountains not too far behind.  The Brahms Symphonies in
Vienna were okay, but not outstanding.  I'm sure there were a few other
good ones that I'm forgetting, but I always felt he got short shrift from
the company for some reason.

Roger Hecht