From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:34:24 +0000
Jeff Dunn concludes:

>No, for me the worst is ...  "Ein Heldenleben," rated near or at the top
>by many.  For me, all it has going for it is the sarcastic music depicting
>the Hero's enemies, the same sort of stuff in the Salome Jewish arguments.
>All of the tunes fall flat for me.  Without the humor--heavy handed though
>it be in other Strauss works--all that shines through is the same hubris
>that others decry the Domestic symphony for.

Has Jeff heard the Blomstedt/Staaskapelle Dresden Heldenleben on Denon?
The orchestral colours produced by this amazing band might change his mind
(slightly acidic woodwind, veiled floating strings, tight timpani, warm
airy church recording).  The Hero's Companion is almost incedently erotic
and the final farewell transcendent.  Blomstedt tried a remake with the
San Francisco Symphony who sounded accurate but bland in comparison.

Jeff also questions the Sinfinia Domestica.  I also find the line and
weighting of the work hard to grasp.  However, once again, for me, it comes
alive wonderfully in a great performance.  This time I'd urge Jeff to try
the incandesent Furtwangler/BPO 1944 live recording.  The BPO sounds more
passionate and alive than I've ever heard it sound under Karajan on record.
The string section arches, attacks and floats by turn.  The sound is full
and rich - amazing for its age.

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK