From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:44:59 -0400
Montreal-based Jacques Hetu (b. 1938) is my favourite Canadian composer.
He's also the most-often performed, along with R Murray Schafer.  This
means that he's sometimes played by orchestras across Canada.  Some of his
compositions have made it to CBC's label, though I don't think much of it's
as sizzling as it deserves to be.

A live version of his first Piano Concerto, op 15, by Marc-Andre Hamelin
has been played on CBC radio.  I caught the last seven or eight minutes
of it a few years ago, and it made a deep impression.  I just learned that
a second PC has now been premiered.  I also heard on the radio a piece
called something like Four Miniatures for Clarinet, Bassoon and Oboe.
Before the announcer spoke up it was clear, again, that this was a very
special composer.  While his is a distinctive and engaging voice, the
music is not especially 'difficult' ...though as far as CD issues or
international acclaim go, he's certainly overlooked.

Last night I caught a 2-hour radio program featuring his music and that of
Ellen Taafe Zwillich, a USAmerican.  I have since learned that MCML members
can hear the program too.  It's available online in on-demand streaming
RealAudio at http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/2newhours/hetuzwillich.htm

On the program?

Hetu's String Quartet #2 (18:34), by the Penderecki SQ.
Hetu's Fantasie pour piano (8:24), James Parker, pf.
Zwillich's [Piano] Trio (15:49), by the Gryphon Trio
Hetu's Sonate pour violon et piano (21:38), Martine Desroches, vln;
Stephen Clarke, pf.
Zwillich's String Quartet #2 (25:07), by the Pendereckis, again.

What do I recommend? E v e r y t h i n g by Hetu; start anywhere.  I tuned
into the show with very high expectations, and was not disappointed.  Also:
I regretted not taping Zwillich's SQ2:  a first class work.

There are pretty complete biographical notes on both composers, and on
their works, at the site.

I'm doing what little I can, via two well-connected people, to spur on
a recording of Hetu's music:  ideally, his PCs ...so I'd appreciate your
feedback.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa