From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:03:28 +0200
Miguel Muelle:

>I don't think the "problem' of the standardized standing ovation is
>limited to small orchestras.  I don't know if the original poster was
>speaking of an American orchestra, but I bet he was.  I think this is
>an American phenomenon.

We see it in Europe too.  Sometimes I feel that the standing originates
because a few people towards the front wish there to be an ovation (or
might I suggest that occasionally they might wish to leave the hall
before the traffic gets too dense...) and as the visibility behind becomes
impossible, other people rise.

I know, that really is too wicked of me - some standing ovations remain
highly justified.

>[...]one sort of ends up feeling like a curmudgeon, or certainly like
>a grump, by sitting firmly

It may be difficult to sit tight but it is possible, and preferable if
the standing ovation is to retain some meaning.  The contrary is very
difficult - I have felt the urge without daring to stand for fear of
embarrassing my neighbours or blocking their view.  But I can applaud
to near-exhaustion...

Regards,

Christine Labroche