From:
"Elihu L. Sussman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:37:01 EDT
I have no problem whatsoever in using classical music in other settings.

I remember hearing les preludes by Liszt in the flash gordon serials
and the Donna Diana overture in Sgt.  Preston of the Yukon long before
I knew what they were.  I also think that it can expose a new audience
to classical music.  If it happens to one out of 100 listeners I think
that is a good return

I still am finding out about new pieces that I hadn't heard before coming
from strange venues--- Shostakovich's Jazz suites were used in Kubrick's
last movie the title of which I cant remember.  Great music in a lousy
movie. but it motivated me to get a CD and become familiar with the music

One brief anecdote-- about 6 yrs ago or so a teenage patient of mine had
just seen "Miss Saigon" and was raving about it.  I told her that the
story came from Butterfly.  Well that led her to become familiar with
the opera so once in a while it does work

As for Mozart and others writing for commercials if they were alive
today--- absolutely!!  After all besides being great composers they were
also human beings trying to make a living and survive just like the rest
of us.  Beethoven I know took many commissions for small pieces to make
money.  Didn't he write a bunch of flute transcriptions of some Irish
folk tunes?  In more modern times Stravinsky kept revising some of his
scores so they wouldn't go into the public domain and he could maintain
income if my recollection is correct.

More power to them!!!

Elihu Sussman