From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:19:13 +0100
Ian Crisp wrote:

>So I cannot agree that 4'33" can reasonably be defined as music, because
>if that were so, then any and all other sound would also be music and the
>purpose of distinguishing between music and other sound would be lost.

Well, Ian.  I hoped we were of exactly the same mind, but, although I have
never subjected myself to the horrors of this 4'33" thing, I would still
declare that it is music, simply because someone has put it together i.e.
purposive human organisation (by your own definition).  As anyone reading
this thread will have guessed, my definition is one of simplicity.  If
sounds are arranged deliberately to be experienced for their sonic value,
then they constitute music.

David Stewart