From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:05:26 -0800
ABC is kind enough to show tonight one of my favorite contemporary B-movies
(B for mindless entertainment, the only kind I can afford), Luc Besson's
"The Fifth Element."

This is a lovably trashy movie from 2259 as things are coming to a head on
the floating luxury planet Paradise where the prepaid lei greeting is by
Tahitian space maidens.

Bruce Willis, Ian Holm (!) and Milla Jovovich (whom I prefer even to Anne
Parrilaud in Besson's "La Femme Nikita") are all converging to save the
world (Gary Oldman, of course, is on the other side) when everything stops
for the opera.

With the most amazing sound (from Sony), Jean-Paul Gaultier's indescribable
costume design, and technical dazzle-razzle to the max, the Diva launches
into "Lucia," under Eric Serra's direction, with the LSO (off screen) on
the track.  (This is the other LSO, not the one playing hideously under the
musician formerly known as Julius Rudel.)

Opera production values in the 23rd Century, I am glad to report, will be
high indeed.  While the stage is New-Bayreuth empty, the singer herself
definitely engages attention beyond Donizetti's music.  She is 7 feet tall,
metallic-slick and all blue -- dress, skin and even intestines, on view
later on.

The blue lady is a combination of soprano Inva Mulla Tchako (no, I have
never heard of her either...  before or since the 1997 film) and the
actress Maiwenn (umlaut on the i) Le Besco.  Be sure to tape at least the
opera scene (halfway through the movie, if memory serves) because otherwise
you'll have difficulty believing what you have just seen.

Serra's soundtrack for `The Fifth Element' also includes "symphonic parts
performed by the London Session Orchestra," and the lovely "Alech Taadi,"
composed and performed by Khaled, the great Egyptian musician.

This is science fiction with class, 23rd century opera, and a riproaring
good flick!

Janos (The boy from Tac-a-rim ba la tum-ba del fu-e-go
san-ta ma-li-ga sal-e-teg-as lo-on to del sol y crooth) Gereben