From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:40:16 -0800
Steve writes with regard to the new technologies:

>On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned, SACD is quadraphonics all
>over again.

No, it's not just that.  The stereo playback is phenomenal.  In fact, I
just bought a two-channel only player.  SACD offers the listener the
closest thing possible to the original tape.

Richard writes with regard to the new technologies:

>The performance that gave rise to this continuation of the thread was
>George Szell's 1963 Cleveland recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an
>Exhibition.  To take one online outlet's prices, in $US, the CD version
>costs $6.65, the SACD will set you back $16.75.
>
>Call me a jaded old cynic, but I get the feeling that these people want to
>rip me off, and I don't like it.

and Deryk:

>The companies evidently expect us to fork out several times over for
>the same recording, while others languish in their vaults.

Why would anyone *have* to buy the same recording unless they weren't
happy with the one they have?

Well, we're just not on the same page here.  The higher-priced SACD
remasterings of older recordings were made available for those who have
the SACD players.  These people *want* to spend the extra money.  I'm
sure the Szell will appear again in the less-expensive CD format, but
after 40 years in circulation, is there anyone who hasn't had the
opportunity to buy it at the cheaper price??

'Nuff said.  I'm just excited about the new technology and wanted to
urge you gentlemen to take a listen.

John Smyth
Sac, CA USA