From:
Peter Godaniburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:15:29 -0000
Dave Lampson asked:

>...  how to pronounce the last name of Frederick Stock, the conductor
>of the Chicago Symphony from 1905 to 1942.  Stock was German born and
>trained (he studied in Cologne with Humperdinck, among others), though
>he spent the last 43 years or so of his life in Chicago.
>
>The fellow at the BBC seems to think he may have preferred the German
>SHTOCK, or was it the Anglicized STOCK?  Does anyone know?  Perhaps he
>was introduced in a radio broadcast or some such.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Frederick is the anglicized version of the german "Friedrich" or
"Friederich" and he was born "Friedrich Wilhelm August Stock" in 1872
and went to America in 1895 at the age of 23.  Since he even changed his
first name I think it is fair to assume that he was perfectly happy with
the anglicized "Stock".

Peter Godaniburg