From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:15:55 -0800
Dave Harman:

>I read your post a number  of times and darned if I don't keep coming
>up with the conclusion: you care more about the technology and the sound
>that new format makes possible than you do about the music the technology
>makes it possible to hear.

It's an aspect of the overall listening experience that I happen to be
interested in at the moment.  I discovered and fell in love with most
of the repertoire on a $60 Soundesign stereo.  I think interest and
research in sound reproduction is a noble pursuit.  Our scientists are
either making bombs that are too smart or CD players that are too smart.
I'm not going to apologize for a passing interest in playback technology.
I know all these postings are a little off-topic, but my friends aren't
interested in the music or the technology, so here I am.

>I hope you finally get around to appreciating the really wonderful
>music all that technology makes it possible to hear.

I don't expect you to know everything about me, but my degree was in
music, I did time in the trenches teaching music, I write music, and I
make time to go to the symphony to pay living players.  None of the above
required plugging something in.

John Smyth
Sac, CA