From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:10:38 +0000
I have been listening to a recent release of Shostakovich's 5th
with Gergiev and the Kirov from a live performance.  I was beginning to
wonder if it was just me but the thing wasn't memorable or 'toe-tapping'.
I put on Stokowski's Philadelphia recording from the 30s and realized
it wasn't me.  Stokowski (and others I recall) puts more gravitas into
the works.  I have liked most of what I have heard from the Russian
conductor but this was a definite disappointment.  Any others listen
to this?

Stumpf