From:
Reid McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:41:42 -0500
Kevin wrote:

>If it is so absurd, kindly list me 10 compositions since Britten's War
>Requiem (1962) that are as significant, well constructed and original
>as said same.

War Requiem sets a pretty high bar - one that much of Britten's other
music may have trouble clearing.  That said, here are a few worthwhile
recent orchestral works, drawn from my rather limited listening activity.
If I had access to more works and spent more time listening to contemporary
music I'm sure there would be more.

   Gubaidulina - Offertorium
   Rautavaara - Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 3
   Simpson - Symphony No. 9
   Rubbra - Symphony No. 8
   Kernis - Colored Field
   Argento - A Ring of Time
   Sallinen - Aspects of Peltoniemi Hintrik's Funeral March
   Harrison, L. - Piano Concerto
   Penderecki - Violin Concerto

Reid McLean