From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:28:49 -0500
Arri Bachrach claims:

>I dont think the level of education is any higher- there are just MORE
>graduates from music schools to choose from- so therefore the orchestras
>do not have to make any compromises as to the quality of those who audition
>and are accepted for positions-

Not that I have any real personal knowledge on the subject, but I've
heard the following claim made by string players about some of the better
conservatories in the US: the level of playing at the graduation recital
of 30 years ago probably would not succeed at the admissions audition
today.  You might ask your violinist friend in the NY Phil about that.

Larry Sherwood