From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:08:41 -0500
Gretchen Ehrenberg asks:

>This Obituary crossed the wires.  I am not familiar with this artist.
>Any information?
>
> The world-renowned violinist and conductor, Tibor Varga, has
> died at his home in the Swiss Alpine village of Grimisuat at
> the age of 82.  Varga was born in Hungary and made his debut
> with Mendelsohn's E minor concerto when he was 10.

Varga was known especially for his performances of the Beethoven, Brahms,
and Tchaikovsky violin concerti.  I believe he also was one of the early
champions of the Schoenberg and Bartok concerti.  Indeed, Schoenberg thought
Varga's interpretation of the concerto extremely penetrating and counted it
as one of the great experiences of his musical life.

Steve Schwartz