From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:49:22 -0400
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>As for recordings of The Planets, you won't be disappointed with the Dutoit
>recording (all digital if you must) on Decca with Montreal.  It is superb.
>The Levine Chicago recording is also fine.  The best of all though is the
>happily analough recording by Sir Adrian Boult.

Atta boy.  My preference is for the last version.  I know Steve Schwartz
likes the first.  A lot of people do, and I have no problem understanding
why.  Two very different very fine performances.

There is also Previn on EMI.  Very classy and elegant.  And if you're into
analogue, you have to try Mehta with LAPO.  I've heard good things about
the James Judd.  After hearing his terrific Elgar First, I'm more than
willing to believe them.  I'm not as crazy about Dutoit, but that recording
does have its admirers.

Roger Hecht