From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 07:43:57 PDT
I have an enjoyable disc of Gounod's two symphonies performed by John
Lubbock and the Orchestra of St.  John's, Smith Square on ASV.  However,
I don't consider the artists the "last word" in performance excelence.

More recently, Marriner has recorded the symphonies for Philips.  Do any
list members have an opinion of Marriner's recording in comparison to the
ASV issue? I think of Marriner as a relatively "light" conductor, and the
Gounod symphonies might be a perfect match.

Don Satz