From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:59:35 +0200
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I wondered why Vernon Handley's nickname is Tod and called on Google for
>help. I found several sources which told me about the name but not the
>reason, and one which included mention of Tod und Verklarung, which I
>assume - hope - is unconnected.

The explanation I heard came from the TV presenter on the occasion Handley
conducted The Last Night of the Proms.  One assumes that he checked with
VH before broadcasting it.  It has to do with the way many people
apparantly perceived Handley's manner of walking.  It seems people used
to say that he appeared to "toddle", hence Tod.  It is, of course, quite
possible that Handley was "having us on" but that is what was broadcast.

Tony Duggan