From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:53:16 -0500
Janos Gereben wrote:

>But the thrill of today belongs to the BMG/RCA Victor reissue of the 1960
>Robert Shaw Bach B-Minor Mass, with OK-to-good soloists (Saramae Endich,
>Adele Addison, Florence Kopleff, Mallory Walk, Ara Berberian), fabulous
>instrumentalists (Joseph Eger, horn!  Ronald Roseman, oboe d'amore!), and
>of course the chorus to die for.

I look forward to hearing that for the first time!  I'd also like to
see some more recent live Shaw performances released, such as the German
Requiem that he performed in Atlanta in the mid 90s, which was broadcast on
Performance Today.  Some of the musicians have also spoken to me of live
Shaw / Atlanta Symphony performances of Beethoven's 9th and the Mahler 8th
which overshadowed the commercial recordings that are available.  If that
is the case, and the concerts were taped (AFAIK the ASO records all of
their concerts), such releases would also be of interest.  I believe that
Telarc had been scheduled to record Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony doing the
9th this year.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com