From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:05:57 +0100
David Harbin writes:

>I see Mr Silverthorne, who sometimes contributes to this list, is about
>to release a CD. He plays the viola in Flos Campi (Vaughan Williams) for
>Naxos.  How did the sessions go?  Have they miked Mr Silverthorne naturally
>against the orchestra or well forward?  Does he have any say in such
>things?.
>
>I see some old Koch releases are turning up on Naxos.  I wonder if his
>CDs for Koch will see the light of day again too.

Thanks to Dave Harbin for the plug - I recorded it in April last year
with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra & Chorus with Paul Daniels
conducting.  The session was very enjoyable despite my having got off a
'plane from New York at 6 that morning - I hope that doesn't show.  The
orchestra is very good, they clearly knew the piece and so we were able
to work in good long takes.

As far as the balance is concerned I think it's a pretty natural, the
viola emerges from, and is subsumed back into the texture as I think the
composer intended.  It is for me a very special work - the subtle harmonic
language and wonderful sensuous lines suit the viola perfectly, and I
think the viola inspired VW to create a kind of piece that is uniquely
moving and memorable.

As far as Koch is concerned it is a great disappointment to me that the
two discs I did for them have been deleted from the 'physical' catalogue
and are only available as downloads.  The recital disc of Britten Hindemith
and Shostakovich is, I feel, still after ten years or so, the best thing
I've done (on disc).  It would be great if they came out again on Naxos
but I'm not holding my breath.

Paul Silverthorne
www.paulsilverthorne.com