From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:34:24 +0200
Ron Chaplin:

>...  I'm wondering what you mean when you say that Jozef
>Wienawski's concerto is "very Polish indeed." All the Best,

Well, the easy way out would be to say that it quite continues the musical
collor of say Moniusko or Chopin.  To me there is a trace local tone that
some (especially romantic) composers tend to always blend in to their
music.  After having read the Grove article on Jozef W, I know know that
he, much like Chopin was man of the world, reciding in Moscow, Paris and
Brussels etc.  But always retaing strong feeling for his native Polen and
perhaps letting this feeling shine through his music.

Having listen a few times to his piano concerto I can say that it is
atleast as good as anything Chopin wrote, and often more harmonically
interesting: definatly something for Ted Perry to include in Hyperions
Romantic Piano Concerto series!

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)