From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:34:53 -0500
Deryk Barker, replying to a posting by Steve Schwartz:

>Actually Steve, as you probably know...[t]his has not the same import as
>your rendering:  LW is talking about things we can and can't articulate -
>mystical experiences being one example of the latter category.  It seems
>to me that the job of music critic (mea culpa) is a perpetual (perpetually
>doomed?) attempt to prove him wrong.

Maybe not.  Wittgensteins other great work, _Philosophical Investigations_,
is much at odds with the Tractatus.  Counter to the Tractatus is finally
argues that what philosophy is about is not knowledge, but understanding.
Isn't that what musical criticism is/should be about?

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]