From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:10:01 -0400
I hope this helps.

Quoted from _The Concert Companion_ by Robert Bagar and Louis Biancolli,
published by Whittlesey House, 1947.

  ""Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in D minor, No. 3, op. 30
   I. Allegro ma non tanto  II. Intermezzo  III. Finale

   Rachmaninov wrote his third piano concerto for his American tour of
   1909. On his journey he used a practice keyboard to prepare himself
   for the fall premiere of the new work with the New York Symphony
   Society. In his memoirs, Rachmaninov declares that he never employed
   a "dumb piano" again. With the composer as soloist, the performance
   took place on Nov.  28. Walter Damrosch conducted. Gustav Mahler
   directed the second performance. Of Mahler's behavior at rehersal
   Rachmaninov later wrote:

      At the time Mahler was the only conductor whom I considered
      worthy to be classed with Nikish. He touched my composer's
      heart straight away by devoting himself to my concerto until
      the accompaniment, which is rather complicated, had been
      practiced to the point of perfection, although he had already
      gone through another long rehersal.  According to Mahler,
      every detail of the score was important--an attitude which
      is unfortunately rare among conductors.

   Otto Kinkleday, who wrote the notes for the New York performances,
   described the new concerto as "Russian throughout, Russian in its
   melodic conception, in its rhythms, and in the robust virile qualities
   even of it's gentler passages." Kinkleday as stressed "the composer's
   place is in lineage of Tchaikovsky."

   [Goes on to give an analysis of the piece]

   The concerto is dedicated to Josef Hofmann.""

I picked this book up from a used book sale for a dollar.  It's amazing
what you can get.

Joseph Sowa