From:
Alex Renwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:44:02 -0500
I received from my daughter a two cd set of Handel's Israel in Egypt
(London - Elizabeth Gale and Lilian Watson, sopranos, James Bowman, alto,
Ian Partridge, tenor, Tom McDonnell, bass, and Alan Watt, tenor II with the
choir of Christ Church Cathedral and the English Chamber Orchestra under
Simon Preston) which does full justice to this wonderful oratorio.  Also
included on the disks is Handel' s Chandos Anthem No 10, 'The Lord is my
Light' (April Cantelo, soprano, Ian Partridge, tenor, Andrew Davis, organ
continuo, with the Academy of St.-Martin-in-the-Fields under Sir David
Willccoks.  I must admit this was the first time I had heard of the Chandos
Anthems.  The liner notes indicate that shortly after his arrival in
England, Handel fell under the patronage of the future Duke of Chandos
and wrote eleven such anthems.  A web search revealed little more.  The
recording is absolutely gorgeous and I am hopeful that some list member[s]
can provide with a greater insight into Handel's Chandos period and these
wonderful anthems.  Thanks,

Alex Renwick
Ottawa, Canada