From:
Chris Drinkwater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:07:22 +0100
Yes, study the score of course.  But performance memory is tactile.  For
me, one of the fascinating things about playing an instrument (the piano)
is that my fingers remember.  One way of combining aural memory, musical
understanding and touch is to practice playing a piece on the surface of
the keys, without depressing them.  When you can do that without the score,
you can be confident that you've remember the piece.  I have found that
this way of practice makes me much less liable to sudden disconcerting
memory lapses.  Along with this, visualisation - hearing the piece in my
head and imagining myself playing it, seeing and feeling my hands over the
keyboard, my fingers on the notes, recalling the physical sensations of
performance.  I believe that this skill, perhaps difficult at first, can
be developed.

Chris Drinkwater.