From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:09:22 -0500
Donald Satz:

>I'm not very familiar with the recordings of Elgar's two Symphonies and
>would like some input concerning the version or versions you like best.

Definitely Barbirolli in the second (very feverish, almost neurotic),
with Boult a close second.  One's a bit more problemmatic.  Barbirolli
disappointed me (lacked weight), as did Boult and Colin Davis, although
all three are acceptable.  I've read nice things about Previn's first,
but never heard it.

Steve Schwartz