From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:07:51 -0500
Don Satz asked about Dvorak Symphonies sets:

>Kubelik has a full set on DG, and I think that's received much acclaim.
>Are there any other full sets of merit? I could also buy on a one by one
>basis.  Reading the archives, it appeared that Szell was considered a great
>buy for the latter symphonies.  How about Gunzenhauser on Naxos?

Let me be one of ones who will recommend the Kertesz on London, an
excellent value which can be had for less than $40.  He is especially
adept with the early and middle symphonies, so this sounds like what
you're looking for, Don.

I picked up several of the Gunzenhauser awhile back but found them to be
disappointing.  When compared to the Kertesz performances, they lack life
and energy.  His 2nd was my first exposure to the piece, but I couldn't
make all the way through as terminal boredom was setting in.  Only when I
switched to the Kertesz did the piece start to make sense.  I also ended
up giving away Gunzenhauser's 9th.  I don't often do this, but in this
case found the performance of the symphony and its coupling ("Symphonic
Variations") to be superfluous.

Haven't heard the Kubelik, but recently read a Fanfare review whose main
concern was the non-idiomatic sound of the Berlin Philharmonic.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com