From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:33:29 -0500
Having just finished reading volume 1 of Walker's biography of Liszt, I
am reminded of the comment of one audience-member during a concert tour,
that he came to entertain himself, not to study (or something along those
lines.) This during a concert etude, mind you- not a work, either, that
would be regarded as inaccessible or even especially serious today (some
concert etudes, certainly, are; I forget exactly which one this one was-
I've since returned this volume of Walker to the library, but I do remember
that much!), and in the 19th century, not even the 18th (in Milan, I think,
but the situation (of audiences .and. orchestras!) was hardly better in
much of the rest of Europe, to judge from some comments made in volume 2.)

-Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016