From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:07:30 PST
This thread appears to have meandered into the interesting areas of whether
Mozart had reached any significant degree of musical maturity before his
death and what he might have done musically had he lived longer.  I still
cling to the notion that all that is really besides the point; we have his
compositional legacy and I'm content with it.

By my score, Mozart composed twenty two works which are right up there
with the best of any composer:  Piano Sonata K 331, Clarinet Quintet,
Piano Quintet, Violin Concertos 3 & 5, Piano Concertos 17 thru 24, Clarinet
Concerto, Flute & Harp Concerto, Symphony No.  39, Requiem, Great Mass,
Figaro, Cosi, Magic Flute, and Don Giovanni.

That's a great achievement for a man who died in his 30's or even for a
person who lives to 100 years of age.  And there are dozens of additional
Mozart works which are *just* excellent.  All this from a guy who was
musically "immature" - not bad at all.

Don Satz