From:
Tedd A Jander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:41:21 -0500
I have just finished a meeting with the head of the Music Department, Dr.
John Hylton, at the University of Missouri-St.  Louis.  There were other
students involved as well.  The focus of the meeting was to provide the
faculty with our opinions and observations of the candidates for the
Director of Choral Studies at the University.  My question to the list
is the following:

Should the quality of the choir and the performance of the music be a
stronger consideration than that of being able to recruit and getting more
numbers? My reason for this question is that I believe that quality brings
quantity.  i.e.  If the choir is really good, then local high schools will
hear about the quality, and the chances of getting those students would
be better.  I am not saying that the schools should not recruit, but if
a school recruits with a poor choir, then the only thing that will be
accomplished is embarrassing themselves and loosing the chance of gaining
those students.  So, does anyone have any input?

tedd
http://members.tripod.com/~teddj_music