From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:35:20 -0400
Since we're listing works composed in Klee's honour, or in the spirit
of his works, let me add one by Sandor Veress.  His 7-movement 'Hommage
a Paul Klee,' for 2 pianos and string orchestra, was composed, in his
words, in honour of this painter who portrays "a new world ...in the
language of the purest art."

A Teldec (0630-19992-2) recording of this 1951 work that features Andras
Schiff and Denes Varjon, with the Budapest Festival Orchestra under Heinz
Holliger, was recommended on this List by Christopher Webber some time
ago.  ('Wish CW had more like this up his sleeve!)

If ECM 1555 447 390-2 is indicative, Veress's later works are less
involving, even icy in their abstraction, though enjoyable, finely-crafted
works all the same.  From what I can see at http://www.veress.net/, many
earlier works by this Hungarian-Swiss composer haven't yet appeared on
CD.

Anyone who appreciates well-orchestrated music suggestive of both Klee's
abstraction and colour ought to give this fine work a spin.  The CD also
has Schiff playing Veress's 1952 PC with strings and percussion, and his
Six Csardas for solo piano (1938).

Bert Bailey