From:
Anselm Kersten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:44:39 -0500
I'm doing a quiz for our village newspaper, and there's a specific piece
of information which I can't track down.  Could anyone please help me?

In the October 28th 1853 issue of the Neue Zeitschrift fur Musik, Robert
Schumann wrote his last review after a silence of 10 years.  In it, he
hailed a new star in the musical firmament: Brahms.  The review was of
his piano sonatas opp.1, 2 and 5.  Does anyone know whether this review
was only of the printed music, or of a performance by Brahms himself?
(I'd guess the latter; if so, did Brahms really play three sonatas in
one go?).

(This is the review which refers to the sonatas as "veiled symphonies",
and is the same one in which he referred to Brahms as having "...come,
a youth at whose cradle the graces and heroes of old stood guard".)

Thanks,

Anselm