From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 13:16:56 -0500
I'm a great fan of much of Reger's chamber music, some works in particular.
(Some pieces of his I've heard often, in consequence; some hardly at
all...)

I have very good recordings of his last two string quartets (on Koch
Schwann) and last two violin sonatas (on Jecklin.)  It occurred to me early
on that the scherzo of the 8th violin sonata (op. 122) seemed to be briefly
quoting the scherzo of the 5th string quartet (op. 121,)- indeed, the very
opening of the latter scherzo- so I noted this.  I probably registered but
didn't really notice that the first movement of the violin sonata quotes
likewise - and equally in passing- the opening of the finale of the
quartet, and that the slow movement of the sonata quotes likewise the first
movement of the quartet.

Hrm.

I suspect somehow that the only reason I don't notice a quotation of the
slow movement of the quartet in the finale of the sonata, is that the
main theme of that slow movement has not impressed itself on me quite as
strongly as have the other three themes.  I sometimes have trouble with
slow movements, a sign of my immaturity and my concentration problems.
(Cracks that they are rather the composer's problem than mine are noted and
given what I consider their due weight.)  I must needs ask anyone else who
knows both these works, however, am I imagining all of this?

Yours confusedly,
Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016