From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:22:26 +0100
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Beethoven's music for either piano four hands or piano duet is mostly
>early and is rarely recorded ...  The three marches Op 45 are for piano
>four hands and represent Beethoven in unusually good humour.  The second
>especially is one of those pieces which stays in your memory all day and
>is quite delightful.  The only recording I have is taped from a broadcast
>recital and I don't know of a recent version of it.  Does anyone share my
>pleasure in these little pieces and does anyone know of a recording?

I haven't heard the Beethoven marches you mention, but if you like
Beethovens marches you should try those marches wothout opus number (WoO).
I can recommend a good CD on Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft.  "Egmont"
and "Wellingtons Sieg oder die Schlacht bei Vitoria" (both Karajan) and a
load of WoO Marches.  For example "Zapfenstreich", the schottich ringing
"York'scher Marsch", and a little gem und zwar WoO29 for clarinets, horns
and bassons.  Beethovens best humour in guterLaune!  DGG 419624-2.  Stereo
sound (which makes Wellingtons Sieg very effectful.  Highly recommended!

Mats Norrman