From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:26:46 +1000
Thanks to Dave for passing on the news of Ronald Smith's death.  My
first experience of Alkan was his EMI version of the Concerto for Solo
Piano, bought on the strength of a rave review.  I was astounded not
only by the technical skill on show, but also by the flood of musical
ideas.  I promptly bought what other Alkan I could - this was the early
70s and there wasn't much around.

It's worth noting that there's an earlier collection of Smith's Alkan
on EMI Forte which includes the Grande Sonate, and several sets on the
English APR label: one in particular contains all the Op 39 etudes and
The Song of the Mad Woman on the Seashore, an unsettling piece indeed.
The APR set was recorded in 1977, some years later than the EMI.

Richard Pennycuick