From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:07:20 -0500
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Nate DeMaria wrote:
>
>>I am looking for stores or clubs on the internet where I can buy CD's
>>cheaply.
>
>But if
>you live in a big city, do try the used record/and or CD stores....

I have had success with Encore Recordings in Ann Arbor MI.  Their web
site (pretty basic) is www.encore-rec.com, and they have e-mail where you
can ask if they have a certain disc.  I don't know how they would feel
about lots of people asking for this.  I've asked about a couple of things
including the Schwarzkopf-Szell Strauss orchestral songs CD.  They had it.
Price $8.00.  Their usual price for a used CD is $8.  So they pay about $4
wholesale.  I sold them about 100 CDs last year.  You do have to take them
into the shop, though--I suppose you could ship them, I haven't tried that.
They don't do evaluations based on your inventory lists.  There shop is a
browsers paradise.  They have everything from Edison cylinders to CDs.
Their classical selection is extensive in CDs and LPs.  I've gotten a lot
of interesting items there, including some fine Furtwaengler recordings.
They are also pretty knowledgeable.  If you do go to town, there are
several shops that will buy used CDs although Encore is the best for
classical.  If they won't buy one of your CDs they will tell you the
other stores you can try.  Another good used CD store is Stereo Jack's
in Cambridge, MA.

Chris Bonds