From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:10:39 -0400
Well, I'm gonna chirp up for the New Yorker.  I can listen to his works
and I've found he's probably one of the few modern composers today who's
always figuring out his way in music and tries to push the envelope.  At
the least, he has the awareness that he can bark up the same tree.  He
said he's trying to grow a "grove of trees" but things happen.  It can
be difficult and as Mr. Zappa says.."you are what you is".  I like his
comment that before 30 composers are trying to find a voice.  After 30,
they have to spend time to try to get rid of it.  Anyway, I think Glass's
collaborative approach to music making does a great service to the art and
gives it a creative shot in the arm since it's so multi-disciplinary.

Rich