From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:31:53 -0800
Mimi Ezust wrote:

> Do you ever get stuck on a piece? You might remember a fragment of it,
> but not the whole thing until you are compelled to listen again and
> again?
>
> It seems I am always in the middle of one of these sticky pieces. ...

Mimi, do you mean that you are stuck on a fragment but can't remember
what piece it is from? Or that you just can't get it out of your head?
Either way, it happens to me a lot. A Brahms symphony, the Brahms violin
concerto, a Beethoven string quartet... Tippett. A descending figure on
the celeste from The Planets (seemed like it took years to remember what
that was!) Lots of things. Often something intensely rhythmic, and if I
could remember what piece it was, I'd go and put the CD on...!

PS I adore Sibelius's 3rd.

PPS When I go back to the piece, the mesmerising bit fits in with the
whole, and I fall in love with it all over again.

Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>