From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:36:23 +1000
Caruso for All was a rather strange TV documentary I saw the other night.
Part of it was presented by the grandson of Emil Berliner, who noted that
the first flat discs had the same diameter as CDs, the manufacturing
process was essentially the same as it is today, and the early discs also
played from the middle to the edge.

This was interspersed with unrelated anecdotes from Anne Sophie Mutter and
Pierre Boulez, and a few minutes of Karajan conducting the end of Brahms 1.
The CEO of DG also appeared now and then.  I wondered if the whole thing
was intended as a self-congratulatory exercise for DG, but it was such a
dog's breakfast, it was hard to decide.

Richard Pennycuick