From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:02:34 PDT
Steve Velardo wrote concerning pianists:

>It seems, America especially, has elected to go with the young prodigy and
>marketable flavor of the month "virtuoso" rather than focusing its efforts
>on developing and promoting the well trained, older performers, who are
>actually old enough and passionate enough to communicate all that is
>contained within the scores.

I find it hard to comment on the validity of Steve's comments without his
providing some mention of particular pianists who fall in each of the two
categories he mentioned.  I would appreciate some names.

Steve's theme is not an unusal one and has much going for it.  The
accumulation of life experiences is highly significant in bringing
additional insights to a musical work.  But, I also think that, as we age,
we likely lose some insights of "youth".

Don Satz