From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:10:34 PDT
I'm getting to the finish line, and this last post covers the
preludes/fugues in B-flat, B-flat minor, B, and B minor:

Prelude in B-flat - Our hero is trying to cross the border between Mexico
and the United States in the San Diego area, specifically by swimming
out from the Mexican side of the Pacific Ocean beyond the border fencing
extending from the shoreline.  He's swimming fast, then running for his
life while the Border Patrol agents are in hot pursuit.  They don't catch
him.  The scene switches to the halls of Congress where our politicians are
debating revisions to current immigration policies; the pols are heatedly
voicing their opinions, continuously yammering their messages to the tv
cameras.  Schepkin is great here.  The chase is done perfectly, and I could
almost hear the politicians going on and on.  *4*

Fugue in B-flat - This is a truely *happy* piece of music.  Our hero, after
8 months of work in the U.S., has crossed the border again back into Mexico
to be reunited with his wife and three children.  He's missed them so much
and prays that he will never have to leave again.  But, he has his doubts;
nothing seems to change.  I was a little surprised that Schepkin could be
a happy player, but he's spot-on.  *4*

Prelude in B-flat minor - In a slow-motion fashion, our hero is crossing
the border again in the same way as before.  But, the sea is choppy this
time with a significant under-toe.  He's not really intimate with the
ocean and gets caught up in an under-toe he can't cope with.  He is further
and further out to sea, losing all his sense of direction, stamina and
breathing capacity.  He sinks to his death.  Schepkin gives us the bad news
as convincingly as I've heard.  *4*

Fugue in B-flat minor - Two years have passed.  Our hero's wife still looks
for sight of him every day.  She knows he's strong and devoted to her and
the children.  He will come back; he must.  And, still, the politicians
keep debating, displaying no awareness that their postures and the postures
of those before them are responsible for daily deaths of illegal immigrants
and Border Patrol agents.  The plight of loved ones isn't even a blip on
the screen.  Superb interpretation by Schepkin - I was really mad and
frustrated by the end of the fugue.  *4*

I've taken a few liberties in my descriptions, but I am very familiar
with Border business in California.  If you're at a border fence, you see
hundreds of childrens' eyes staring at you through the fence links.  It's
an eerie feeling and a bad one.  I've also known a Border Patrol agent
killed on the job.  Bach and Schepkin must be very effective - They've
got me feeling morose now.  I'll play that happy fugue again.

Prelude in B - Matt and Nadine are celebrating their 50th wedding
anniversary in the company of their family.  It's an intimate and
satisfying evening with much verbal reflection that each of them feels.
Another winner for Schepkin.  *4*

Fugue in B - Matt and Nadine's 10th grandchild, a boy, has just been born.
The whole family has gathered for the circumcision.  It's an atmosphere of
subdued joy, full satisfaction, and love.  Matt and Nadine look at everyone
and smile at one another; it's all come from them.  *4*

Prelude in B minor - Matt and Nadine die within two months of one another.
The funerals are well-attended.  Close family members feel like the anchors
of their lives have been snatched away; the younger grandchildren want to
play with their grandparents.  Schepkin's very good at funerals.  *4*

Fugue in B minor - Six months later, the youngest grandchild of Matt and
Nadine dies of lukemia.  Another funeral is at hand.  But, this one is all
wrong.  The parents can't believe it's happening - is this something which
can be endured? *4*

I've enjoyed this review mainly because it required that I push all the
daily crap out of my mind and concentrate on nothing but Bach.  Doing just
that, I have emerged form the process with a higher appreciation of the
WTC and Bach's genius than ever.  The images I provided are my own, and I
wouldn't expect nor want anyone else to possess them.  But, their existence
within me is a condition I hope everyone else experiences with the music
they love most.  In a few situations I had to go to a 2nd best image with
the strongest one not being appropriate for the list.  Still, every image
was vivid and I could still see and feel them as I was listening and
writing at the same time.  But, the music is now silent, and I need to
attend to mundane matters such as dinner and taking the trash to the street
corner.  Bach, then trash.  Life is a blast.

I almost forgot - the verdict on Schepkin.  I've had a great and rewarding
time with Schepkin.  Buy him and also buy his recording of Bach's Partitas.

Don Satz