From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:19:24 -0400
Richard Pennycuick seconds Steve Schwartz's:

>>...look[ing] forward to more issues of the series.
>
>The symphonies have all been released by Da Capo on four CDs with two
>per CD except for the most recent which couples the fifth symphony with
>the third piano concerto, a terrific piece, imo.  This suggests that Da
>Capo might give us the rest of the piano concertos - there are four -
>not to mention concertos for clarinet, for violin and viola, for cello,
>for oboe and for flute...

Didn't know there were this many, but do count me among those eager
for new releases.  There's an oratorio I haven't heard, but HD Koppel's
recorded concertante works are, indeed, far from complete to date.  The
cello concerto is on a Bis CD with one for violin by Ib Norholm -- which
sounded most indigestible, last I sampled (time to review that..?).  But
what there is of the rest seems to be scattered among his work as a piano
soloist.

Acquisition is made very expensive, in short, if it's his music one's
after.

I inquiried about this in June 2003, and was told by Danacord that
their series 'Herman D. Koppel: Composer & Pianist' was assembled by
an arrangement with his family that stipulated that no changes were to
be made of their contents.

I think it just went out of print.  I don't wonder why.

What there is of his chamber works is as good, to me, but, again,
scattered.  There's a wind octet on a CD with four other composers,
and another daCapo CD with his Sextet for piano and winds, together
with works by NV Bentzon -- who's worth one's trouble but doesn't strike
me as quite of HDK's stature.  There's also a recording with his piano
quartet, a solo piano suite, Ternio for clo/pf, and Cantilena for vln/clo
(Point PCD 5082).  A full-price CD with a most unsatisfactory 38 minutes
of very satisfying music!

I guess he was not seen as deserving recordings devoted to him alone.
Until recently, we hope.

Bert Bailey